National Society of Mural Painters
Originally known as The Mural Painters, the National Society of Mural Painters (NSMP) was founded in 1895 by a group of artists, dedicated to working together to represent the interests of mural painters in major public issues. NSMP collaborated with the Fine Arts Section of the Treasury Department, The Arts Project of the WPA, and the design boards of several World's Fairs. As a member of Artists for Victory, NSMP was allied with activities connected with World War II; many triptych altarpieces were painted for use by the armed forces through the Citizens Committee for the Army and Navy, Inc., and barracks and camps were decorated as well. The current membership is a diverse group of national and international artists qualified by application and acceptance. Society members work with other organizations, actively sponsoring legislation and allocation of funds for the development and commission of public works of art.