Pacific Art League
The Pacific Art League of Palo Alto was founded in 1921 as the Palo Alto Art Club by a widely talented group of people who recognized a need to meet other artists, to work together, and to discuss and critique each other's works. The Club first met in members' homes and then moved into a new wing of the Palo Alto Library. It was there that classes were first held, meeting weekly for sketching portraits from live models. In 1939 the Club became a nonprofit membership corporation and bought the Melville building. Again seeking space to accommodate its membership of over 800, the Palo Alto Art Club in 1965 purchased the building at 668 Ramona Street, the present home of the Art League. A Palo Alto landmark built in 1926; this building was originally Winsor's Cabinet Shop. In December 1984, the increase in classes and membership participation, along with the expanded regional exposure created by Pacific Prints, provided the impetus for the Club to change its name to The Pacific Art League of Palo Alto.