Cambridge Art Association
The Cambridge Art Association (CAA) began in 1944 when a group of artists came together to auction their art as a way of contributing to the war effort. Led by the director from the local high school, they rented a basement space in Harvard Square, laid floor board on a dirt floor, installed partitions and lighting, advertised for members, and opened a gallery. Soon they were offering classes and presenting regular exhibits. Today, the Cambridge Art Association consists of approximately 500-juried artist members--photographers, printmakers, painters, sculptors, textile artists, and glassmakers and a supporting group of Friend Members. The purpose of the organization, while constantly evolving as artists' needs change, also remains much the same as it was in the 40's: to enhance the quality of the community by exhibiting art, supporting local artists, and creating diverse opportunities for art education and art appreciation.
[Visit the website for Cambridge Art Association]